Recent Publications n
Taylor, J., Biddulph, P., Davies, M., Ridley, I., Mavrogianni, A., Oikonomou, E., Lai, K.M. Using building simulation to model the drying of flooded building archetypes.
Accepted in the International Journal of Building Performance Simulation.
- Rydin,Y., Bleahu, A., Davies, M., Dávila, J.D., Friel, S., De Grandis, G., Groce, N., Hallal, P.C., Hamilton, I., Howden-Chapman, P., Lai, K.M., Lim, C.J., Martins, J., Osrin, D., Ridley, I., Scott, I., Taylor, M., Wilkinson, P., Wilson, J. Shaping cities for health: complexity and the planning of urban environments in the 21st century. The Lancet
- Rydin, Y., Davies, M., Dávila, J.D., Hallal, P., Hamilton, I., Lai, K.M., Wilkinson, P. Healthy communities. Local environment: International journal of justice and sustainability
- Khan, M.Z., Yim S. and Lin Y.J and Lai, K.M. Testing biological effects of hand washing grey water for reuse in irrigation on an urban farm: A case study. Environmental Technology (accepted)
- Pankhurst, L.J., Anaraki, S., and Lai, K.M. Combining environmental assessment and contact investigations to make tuberculosis screening decisions, accepted for publication in The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- D’Arcy N, Canales M, Spratt D.A., Lai K.M. 2012. Healthy Schools: Standardisation of culturing methods for seeking airborne pathogens in bioaerosols emitted from human sources. Aerobiologia (in press)
- Taylor, J., Davies, M., Canales, M. and Lai, K-M. (2012). The persistence of flood-borne pathogens on building surfaces under drying conditions. International
Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2012.03.010
Lai, K-M, Bottomley, C., McNerny, R. (2011). Propagation of Respiratory Aerosols by the Vuvuzela. PLoS ONE. 6(5)
- Pankhurst, L. J., Taylor, J., Cloutman-Green, E. A. and Hartley, J. C. and Lai, K. M. (2010). Can clean-room particle counters be used as an infection control tool in hospital operating theatres? Indoor and Built Environment. First published on July 29, 2011 as doi:10.1177/1420326X11409467
- Taylor, J., Lai, K.M., Davies, M., Clifton, D., Ridley, I., and Biddulph, P. (2011). Flood Management: Prediction of microbial contamination in large-scale floods in urban environments. Environment International. 37: 1019-1029.
- Maliki, A.D. and K.M. Lai (2011), Design and application of a pre-composting test step to determine the effect of high fat food wastes on an industrial scale in-vessel composting system, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 65:906-911
- K.M. Lai, Z.H. Ozuah et al. (2012), Systems connectivity between social, cultural and economic factors and housing environments associated with TB transmission in slums, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management (In press, access online)
- Taylor, J., Davies, M. Lai, K.M. (2010), The Simulation of the Post Flood Drying of Dwellings in London, Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Built Environments, Vol 1, December 2010, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Pankhurst, L.J., Akeel, U., Hewson, C., Maduka, I., Pham, P., Saragossi, J., Taylor, J. and Lai, K.M. (2010) Understanding and mitigating the challenge of bioaerosol emissions from urban community composting. Atmospheric Environment. 45: 85-93.
- Ka man Lai, 'How an interdisciplinary research Group can help to better understand and mitigate the environmental challenges of solid waste management'. 3-5 May 2011. At 'The International Conference on Solid Waste: Moving towards sustainable resource management', Hong Kong.
- Pankhurst, L. J., Lai, K. M., Aranaki, S., Altamirano, H., and Ghani, S. (2011) Indoor environmental conditions in 21st Century Britain and /Mycobacterium tuberculosis/ dissemination: Case studies in modern offices. Poster presented at FEMS 2011, June 26th - 30th, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Ka man Lai , 'Infrastructure and the 21st Century Infectious Diseases' , 19th May 2010 at UCL , CIBSE is The
Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
- Ka man Lai and Hector Altamirano, Airborne transmission of disease - outside the research of air flow? Airborne spread of disease in the hospital environment, 29th June 2009, UCL (Funded by EPSRC)
- Ka man Lai, What role can students take in bringing about positive change? Engineers without Boarders, December 2010, UCL, UK
- Jonathon Taylor, Dampness, Flooding, and the Effect on Occupant Health, British
Aerobiology Federation (BAF) Meeting, 19/11/2009, Rothamsted, UK
- Jonathon Taylor, GIS, Building Simulation, and Microbes in Flood Impact Studies, Poster
Presentation, Infectious Disease Research Network Meeting, 4/11/2009.
- Jonathon Taylor, GIS in Flooding, December 2010, Health Protection Agency, Didcot, UK
- Jonathon Taylor, The Simulation of the Post Flood Drying of Dwellings in London, International Conference on Sustainable Built Environments, December 2010, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Ka man Lai and Dominic Clyde-Smith, Environmental Challenges in the 21st Century - Sustainability and Infectious Diseases, December 2010, Chengdu Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- McDevitt, J. J., Lai, K. M., Rudnick, S. N., Houseman, E. A., First, M.
W. and Milton, D. K. 2007. Characterization of UVC Light Sensitivity of
Vaccinia Virus. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73: 5760-5766.
- Lai, K. M., Burge, H. A. and First, M. W. 2004. Size and ultraviolet
germicidal irradiation susceptibility of Serratia marcescens when
aerosolized from different suspending media. Applied and Environmental
Microbiology 70: 2021-2027.
- McDevitt, J. J., Lai, K. M., Rudnick, S. N., Houseman, E.A. and Milton,
D. K. 2006. Influence of relative humidity and suspension medium on
susceptibility of airborne vaccinia to germicidal ultraviolet light. The
4th Annual ASM Biodefense Research Meeting, February 15-18, 2006,
Washington, DC, USA
- Milton, D. K. and Lai, K. M. 2004. Prevention of airborne smallpox
transmission. In the 4th Orthopoxvirus Research Group Meeting, USA
- Lai, K.M., 2006. Hazard identification, dose-response and enviironmental characteristics of stachybotryotoxins and other health-related products from stachybotrys. Environmental Technology 27:329-335
- Martin, O. V., Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2005. Receiver-Operator Characteristic (ROC) analysis for environmental diagnosis: A potential application to endocrine disruptors screening: In vitro estrogenicity bioassays. Environmental Science and Technology 39: 5349-5355.
- Gomes, R. L., Deacon, H., Lai, K. M., Birkett, J. W., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2004. An assessment of the bioaccumulation of estrone in Daphnia magna. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 23: 105-108.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. Prediction of the bioaccumulation factors and body burden of natural and synthetic estrogens in aquatic organisms in the river systems. Science of the Total Environment 289: 159-168.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. The effects of natural and synthetic steroid estrogens in relation to their environmental occurrence. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 32: 113-132.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2002. Biotransformation and bioconcentration of steroid estrogens by Chlorella vulgaris. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 68: 859-864.
- Lai, K. M., Johnson, K. L., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2000. Binding of waterborne steroid estrogens to solid phases in river and estuarine systems. Environmental Science and Technology 34: 3890-3894.
- Lai, K. M., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 2000. Ecological risk assessment of anthropogenic natural and synthetic estrogens. In the SETAC 21st Annual Meeting, USA.
- Lai, K. M., Johnson, K. L., Scrimshaw, M. D. and Lester, J. N. 1999. The partitioning of natural and synthetic estrogens between aqueous and solid phases in river systems. In Endocrine Disrupters in the Environment: The Analytical Challenge, UK.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Su, D. C., Fang, M. and Zhou, L. X. 2001. Effect of applying Hong Kong biosolids and lime on nutrient availability and plant growth in an acidic loamy soil. Environmental Technology 22: 1487-1495.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Su, D. C. and Fang, M. 2001. Availability of heavy metals for Brassica chinensis grown in an acidic loamy soil amended with a domestic and an industrial sludge. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 128: 339-353.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Fang, M. and Ma, K. K. 2000. Soil biology of low grade landfill cover soil with sewage sludge amendment. Environmental Technology 21: 1233-1238.
- Lai, K. M., Ye, D. Y. and Wong, J. W. C. 1999. Enzyme activities in sandy soil amended with sewage sludge and coal fly ash. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 113: 261-272.
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Fang, M. and Ma, K. K. 1998. Effect of sewage sludge amendment on soil microbial activity and nutrient mineralization. Environment International 24: 935-943.
- Wong, J. W. C. and Lai, K. M. 1997. Sewage sludge as an organic fertilizer for low grade landfill cover soil. In the 12th Annual Residuals and Biosolids Management Specialty Conference, USA.
- Wong, J. W. C. and Lai, K. M. 1996. Effect of an artificial soil mix from coal fly ash and sewage sludge on soil microbial activity. Biology and Fertility Soils 23: 420-424.
- Lai, K. M. and Wong, J. W. C. 1996. Soil enzyme activities of coal fly ash and sludge amended sandy soil. In the Asia-Pacific Conference on Science and Management of Coastal Environment. 25-28 June 1996, Hong Kong.
- Cheng, K. Y., Lai, K. M. and Wong, J. W. C. 2008. Effects of pig manure compost and nonionic-surfactant Tween 80 on phenanthrene and pyrene removal from soil vegetated with Agropyron elongatum. Chemosphere 73: 791-797
- Wong, J. W. C., Lai, K. M., Wan, C. K., Ma, K. K. and Fang, M. 2002. Isolation and optimization of PAH-degradative bacteria from contaminated soil for PAHs bioremediation. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 139: 1-13.
- Lai, K. M. 1998. Integration of adsorption and biodegradation of azo dyes (MPhil thesis) The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Lai, K. M., Cheng, M. Y. and Wong, P. K. 1998. Integration of biosorption and biologically/photochemically degradation of synthetic dyes in industrial effluent. In Workshop on Waste Management and Remediation of Polluted Sites for Sustainable Development, Vietnam.
- Wong, P. K., Mak, C. K. and Lai, K. M. 1997. Biosorption of azo dyes by a Pseudomonas sp. In the 97th American Society of Microbiology General Meeting, USA.